Britton Jewelers was started by Lowell and Ruth Britton on August 27, 1943 at 19 Sims Street in downtown Dickinson. It soon outgrew this location and in September 1949, it opened a newly remodeled store at 20 First Avenue West. In addition to the store, Lowell Britton ran a trade shop upstairs from 1948 to 1958. He had about 30 to 40 stores sending him repair work from several states.
The History of Britton Jewelers
Britton Jewelers was purchased in 1965 from Lowell Britton by Emil & Lewista Trzynka. Emil & Lewista completely remodeled and added the second half, which was the Dickinson Liquor Store, in November of 1973. Emil Trzynka was elected to the Board of the North Dakota Jewelers Association in 1967 and President in 1973.
In 1974, Terry and Anita Trzynka purchased Britton Jewelers from Emil and Lewista Trzynka. Terry was elected to the Board of the North Dakota Jewelers Association in 1975. In April 1972, Terry and Anita opened the Hettinger branch of Britton Jewelers. In 1976, Terry sold the Hettinger branch of Britton’s which is still open today.
In October 1997, Terry and Anita sold the store to Mike and Sandy Storley. Since the change in ownership, Mike and Sandy have added new product lines and also relocated the store to 448 21st St W. On September 26, 1999 the new location opened for business. The new location was double in size of the downtown location.